About the Industry
We all depend upon quarry products. Without them we would have
no homes, schools, offices, shops or hospitals. Quarry products
provide the basis for our transport network (roads, railways and
airports) and for our water and sewerage systems.
Similarly, many products we take for granted - paper, plastics,
glass, steel, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics, even some of the
food we eat - are manufactured using materials derived from quarrying.
- every year over three tonnes of aggregates are needed per head of the population in the UK.
- a typical family indirectly demands a lorry load of aggregates each year
- a new house requires some 50 tonnes of aggregates
- the mineral products industry employs around 70,000 people directly and indirectly
- the use of lime improves agricultural land and brings a range of environmental benefits (e.g. in water treatment)
The quarrying and extractives sector also takes in marine aggregate
dredging, road contracting and the many business, planning and
environmental roles that go hand in hand with our operations.
We can only quarry where nature has deposited the minerals society
needs, and this makes us a predominantly rural-based industry.
And with the variety of materials in demand, there are opportunities
to join the industry nation-wide.
Transportation of these vital materials to where they are needed
is a similarly vital element of the industry. Although operators
use waterways or rail delivery services wherever possible, by
far the most common means for moving aggregates is by road. Careful
and fuel efficient drivers are vital to help make our logistics
as sustainable as possible.
The quarrying and extractives sector is surprisingly
broad, and there are opportunities in a number of career
- Quarrying - varied roles carrying
the responsibility of managing the production of aggregates.
- Road Contracting -vital jobs in laying
the nation’s roads to the highest technical standards.
- Marine Aggregates - aggregates from
the seabed are a vital source of materials to UK construction
and there are a number of jobs on offer.
- Business Support - all the above are
multi-million pound industries that require high quality
business support to keep them running.
- Environment and Planning - the industry
places great emphasis on sustainable development, so planning
new operations, restoring the land and careful environment
management are important roles.
Find out more about what’s on offer in our job roles section.